BAU = Business As Usual
'Business as usual’ activities are recognisable because:
* there are known policies, processes, procedures or precedents which may be followed
* there is virtually no risk (as opposed to the problems which often occur in meeting deadlines etc)
* the activities are not new, but repeated (albeit not necessarily very frequently), therefore:
* they do not offer change
Projects are different from ‘business as usual’ activities because they have a number of distinguishing features:
* they bring about change
* projects may offer investment opportunities
* they have unknown elements, therefore they create risk
The new project work must not affect the BAU work.
In action... WorkActually, this definition sucks. Let me add my own. You can also share "bau" with a friend or share it on Twitter.